Friday, May 4, 2018

Wikipedia Trails: Kali to Deportation...

Kali: I started with Kali because I just finished learning about her secret from the 7 Secrets of the Goddesses Youtube videos. I liked looking at how she is worshiped differently in different places, especially her maternal form in the Bangali tradition.

The Caravans- Gypsy camp near Arles
Van Gogh painting (1888)
Sourc: Wikipedia
Saint Sarah: There are scholars who claim that this French catholic saint is in fact a form of Kali worship in the western world, brought to France by the Romani. I'm not sure this is true as the Romani seemed to adopt her as their patron saint after she was in France and she is Egyptian. But it is interesting to think how religions can mix so easily and blur lines.

Romani: The Romani people have always fascinated because when I was kid they would be mentioned in books, and I never understood who exactly they are (Where do they come from? What religion are they? Where are they now?). I always thought they were from Eastern Europe (Romani, Romania/Rome, not so crazy), so imagine my surprise to learn they are originally from India! I should have done more research on this a long time ago...

Deportation of Roma migrants from France: France enforced deportation of Romani people in just 2009! Less than a decade ago France is still trying to stop the flow of Romani people entering the country. I think it's amazing how we don't hear about this, and I associate discrimination against Romani a fixture of the 19th century and before in France and ending with the Holocaust.


1 comment:

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...