Friday, May 4, 2018

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll be done. I'm walking across the stage in about a week. Crazy... Alright, deep breaths. Don't want to have a panic attack at 5 am. 

I am so ready and absolutely not ready to graduate at the same time. But I am sure that I am not ready to be done with this class. After taking this class for two semesters with Indian Epics and Mythology and Folklore, it's hard to remember a time before these courses. I haven't been grateful enough for this opportunity to read stories from around the world and then write creatively about them. I've been so spoiled!! Maybe I'll just have to audit the course every semester until Laura Gibbs kicks me out. 

I'm currently at my parents' house in Oklahoma City because I came to visit and do laundry. It's weird to be sitting on my bed from high school and think about graduating from college. It seriously seems like yesterday I was 15 and coming to OU's campus for my first Classics Day. It was my favorite day of the year, and all I wanted was to live that everyday at OU. It's weird to think I'll be graduating in Letters, the major I always thought would be so cool to study. I look back at my college career, and I do have regrets. There are moments I'd love to be a Freshman in college again, or if I could just whisper in the ear of 18 year old Jillian. 

But there's other moments that I think life has to keep moving. I don't want to move so quickly I get dizzy and don't enjoy it, but staying in one place for too long, no growth or development, will ultimately limit me. I can already feel how I have mastered a Bachelor's. Of course there's always more things to learn and I wish I could take every class I want to take. But truly, I've figured undergraduate life out. It's time to challenge myself again in more than just course material. 

The day before I moved into my Freshman year apartment, I took my baby brother to Build-A-Bear to spend the day together. I knew he was going to be sad about me moving out, so I wanted to remind him that I would always be his big sister. Now I'm graduating, and he may be almost 12, but I still need to remind him of this. Weird to think this day was four years ago!!
Freshman Year Jillian
Source: Personal Photo
P.S. Laura, if you're reading this, I would love to stay in touch somehow. You've been the coolest professor I've never met! I feel very dorky typing this, but oh well, I'm graduating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...