Thursday, April 26, 2018

Week 14 Reading Notes: 9 Ideal Indian Women, Part A

This story from the beginning felt like such a classic. It felt a fairy tale I already knew and yet I had never read it and wasn't sure what to expect at the end.
File:La barca de Caront, Josep Benlliure Gil, Museu de Belles Arts de València.jpg
Charon ferrying the dead to the underworld
Source: Wikimedia

I think it is powerful Savitri's love for her husband, but I wanted to know why they loved each other other than beauty. She was willing to give her life for this man she had known not even a year. I want to know more about them.

I loved the note at the end about women taking this oath. I think being widowed, especially when you have been married for a long time, would be so difficult. When I think of it in the context of Savritri's story, the oath they take seems very romantic instead of a convenience. I would like to write a story about how this oath might play out if it worked, but something went horribly wrong.

Devee. Nine Ideal Indian Women. (1919)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...