Friday, March 30, 2018

Week 10 Story: To Save a Prince

There once was a good, strong king who loved his people more than himself. He spent every waking moment trying to protect and improve the lives of his subjects, and even in his sleep he was tormented by images of the poor and forgotten. 

The king had two sons. He assumed that they would follow the example he had set before them to become good, strong leaders. However, as the two grew older, the king feared he should have been more direct with his sons rather than merely hoping they would follow in his footsteps. 

Instead, his oldest, Louis, cared for nothing except women, hunting, and himself. His younger son, Francis, was perhaps less selfish and did care for the kingdom's people, but he was still more concerned with being king than helping them as someone with a lesser title. 

One day when the king was in his office, looking over agricultural reports, a messenger ran into the office unannounced. 

"Your Highness, the princes have been abducted! They are being held hostage by a water-sprite who will negotiate with no one but you."

Without hesitation, the king sprang into action. After saddling his horse and riding off, it wasn't long until he had followed the river to a cave with a beautiful water-sprite standing guard.

File:Lakshmi by Raja Ravi Varma.jpg
Lakshmi, Goddess of Wealth
Source: Wikimedia
"Welcome, king. Please, join me for a cup of the freshest, cleanest water you have ever tasted. There is no need to rush. Your sons are safe."

Once the king descended from his steed, the water sprite sprinkled water around the beast so that he could freely graze, but could not cross the barrier she had marked. The water-sprite then motioned for the king to sit on a smoothed rock, weathered to take the shape of a chair. She handed him a cup of water and the king was amazed by its crisp, clear taste, more delicious than the finest wine. 

"King, I have happily watched your reign from afar. You are kind and just. But your sons have failed you. I caught them near my river dueling. It turns out the youngest lured his older brother out here so that he could kill him and be king. I do not understand how a brother could take the life of another, but these two are the future of the kingdom."

"Yes, while the oldest is owed the kingship by his birthright, the other claims it by his talent and wit."

"King, you are wise and fair. Therefore, I will give you a gift: the gift of opportunity. You know, birthright or no, who should be king. So, you may choose who to save. Whoever is left, I will wash away his memories and he will be free to start a new life."

How could the king choose a son to save? How could he lose a son, even if it was best for the nation?

"May I have time to think about it?" he asked. 

"It is decision time, king. You must choose now."

Louis was chosen due the kingship by his privilege of being born first, but cursed with a selfishness beyond the good king's understanding. Francis was blessed with kindness towards the kingdom's subjects, but he was willing to kill his own brother merely for the title of king. Was either of them truly deserving of being granted great power?

"I have always acted in the best interests of my people and I will not stop now because my sons have chosen a life of violence and evil. I will find a king who is worthy of such power."

"You wish both of your sons to be sent out into the world without any memory of their past lives?"

The king knew he could not keep his sons and do right by the kingdom, but he still loved his children. "Yes, but could you grant me one request?"

The water-sprite nodded solemnly. 

"Can you allow them to remember they are brothers and their happiest moments together?"

"For you king, I shall."

And so the king took his horse and began his ride back to the castle. It was time to find a new king. 



Author's Note: This is based off the story of the Princes and the Water-Spite. However, instead of the eldest brother choosing between his middle or youngest brother to save from the water-sprite, the king must choose who he wants to succeed him. In the original story, the oldest bother chooses to save the youngest even though he was trying to kill his older brothers and the water-sprite says that was the kind choice. In my story, he chooses neither because he knows neither would be a good king. 


Jataka Tales by Ellen Babbitt. (1912)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jillian great job on your story! I really like how you changed the story to have a king meet with the water sprite inside of the two princes. You did a great job in setting up the story and explaining how the king got to the water sprite. Good job on your story I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Jillian!. I really like the way you told this story. You do a really good job of breaking up the dialogue so that it is easy to read and distinguish each of your characters. Your descriptions and details in your story are really well done and do a good job of keeping the reader engaged and interested in your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jillian, I like the direction you took with your retelling of this story. I like the idea of neither brother being chosen because they wouldn't make a good king. I also really liked your use of dialogue. It was very effective at setting the scene and making your reader engage with the story. Awesome job, I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jillian.
    I really like how you retold this story. I had never heard this story before so I liked reading your story and your author's notes. It was cute and a unique story. You are a great writer. I loved the conflict between the two brothers. We all can relate to that. Good luck with the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jillian!
    I really liked your retelling of this story. You did a great job incorporating dialogue into the story. It was very clear on who was talking throughout the story. I remember reading this Jataka tale, and I remember it being strange that the brother had to choose whom to save. I think this was a wonderful adaptation to the original story.

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...