Monday, April 16, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: Draupadi to President of the Qurorum of the Twelve Apostles

Draupadi: Before revising and posting my Draupadi story to my portfolio, I wanted to double check Draupadi's story and get a good overall picture of her legacy. Something I found interesting was how the wikipedia article mentioned how at the time, ployandry was controversial, and her marriage to multiple men was not without some uncomfortable feelings on the contemporary readers' part.

Polyandry: I had never thought about women having multiple husbands and it being a separate issue. I never even knew there was a specific word for it! i just thought it was polygamy and it usually worked out where it was a man who had multiple wives! Across the world, while polygyny (men with multiple wives) is frequently found, ployandry is hardly ever acceptable (as of 1980).

Brigham Young by Charles William Carter.jpg
Brigham Young,
Former President of the Quorum
of the Twelve Apostles
Source: Wikipedia
1890 Manifesto: I think many Americans are like me, and when we think of polygamy we almost immediately associate it with Mormons. However, this article mentioned religious attitudes towards polygamy and polyandry and mentioned how the 1890 Manifesto was supposed to end polygamous marriages (so that Utah could become a state). However, it does say that while it fell out of vogue over time, there are Mormon fundamentalists today who still believe the manifesto was not revelation as the church claims.

President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: This a priesthood mentioned in the article about the 1890 Manifesto because the president at the time believed that the 1890 Manifesto was a sign the Second Coming of Jesus was eminent and that polygamy would be reinstated after he came. I am just surprised that there is a priesthood in the LDS church! Whoever is president is next in line to become president of the entire church, which I think sounds so much like a mix between a monarchical state and the popes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...