Thursday, February 22, 2018

Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part A

Image result for bhishma
1923 Lithograph: The presentation of Devavrata
Soure: Wikimedia
I think that Satyavati and Bhishma have the two most interesting stories here. 

  • When it says that Satyavati became mother of a son, it does not discuss how she remained a virgin as he promised and still gave birth. At first I thought maybe it was another "miraculous birth", but then it mentions her having to become a virgin again?
    • Who exactly was the father and why would he leave such a beautiful woman everyone is obsessed with?
  • Bhishma's vow is very powerful
    • He sacrifices everything, his entire future, so that the king can marry the woman he wants. 
    • I am fascinated by sacrifices and vows like his so perhaps I can incorporate this into the story about Satyavati's first love/ father of her first child. 

Mahabharata Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...