Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Mahabharata Part C: Draupadi

Death of Prince Kichaka
Source: Wikipedia

Something that bothers me about the Mahabharata is how little women do and the lack of butt-kicking done by women. For example, from part A when Amba wants to kill Bhishma, but must become a man to do so in a another life.

Draupadi is taken by Jayadratha. She is saved from her abductor.

She is then attacked by Prince Kichaka and all she can do is get away.

I don't believe that she would have had such a horrible abduction experience at the hands of Jayadratha, be surrounded by warriors and weapons, and have not learned any form of self-defense.

If I was Draupadi and I was being forced to live with people I don't care about, live out in the woods in exile, and I keep getting attacked by men, I would be so angry. I think that she would be so frustrated with her situation that she wouldn't remain a meek damsel-in-distress. She would do something about it so that she could defend herself!

Bhima and KichakaThe Indian Heroes by C. A. Kincaid (1921). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...