Sunday, January 14, 2018

Storybook Favorites

Since I read so many Mythology and Folklore storybooks last semester, I focused on reading from the Indian Epics archive. It's interesting the contrast in selection between the two classes since one class can choose from any tradition and it seems the selection pool is much smaller for the Indian Epics class. Most of the creativity seems to come simply from how you tell the story than from what stories you tell. However, these were my favorites from what I read. 

Top Lists. Web Source: Best Professors Lists


Rate my Rishi: Link
The first storybook I saw from the Indian Epics selection was the "Rate my Rishi" story. It was so different from the others and so clever! It also exceeded my expectations when the author was able to design the layout to reflect an actual website rather than just have descriptions. It was also a clever way to give different perspectives on one character in a simple and easy to follow way. 

Karma's Courthouse: Link
I loved this story because while the layout and story frame was simple, the writing itself was beautiful and really set the perfect tone for what the author wanted the reader to feel. I didn't love the layout of the site itself as the tabs were so small and tucked away and the print of the stories seemed a little small itself. Other than that, I really like this storybook. 

Hindu Lover Online: Link
This was another interesting set up for the story, similar to the ratemyrishi storybook. It's funny because as I was reading other storybooks, I was thinking a dating site storybook would be cute, largely inspired by the Black Mirror episode called Hang the DJ. I think the author could have done more visual work to reflect a dating site feel (like the ratemyrishi storybook did), but the writing itself was cute and a fun way to tell the stories. I'm glad I foudn this before I further pursued the idea of a dating app storybook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Peace Out Homies

Once I turn in this assignment, I will be done with this class. And then I'll only have one thesis and one final exam. And then I'll...